Your final grade is posted.
Have a great winter and years to come.
Project grade updated. And we finished grading your final exam. We want to double check before posting your grade. Please check back Monday evening.
Your grades for project are posted here. A few of them are still pending.
Please check your scores for assignments and midterm. If you find mistake or didn't get a grade, please see us or TA and get this resolved by next Friday. Otherwise, we will fill it with some intergral number (could be negative). ;-)
And You should bring your project report (readme + measurement) to demo or submit/email it by Friday.
Also, detail scope for final exam is posted.
New demo sessions for project.
Check project page for submission command.
Some update for project including fill-in empty string, new very long ABC sample, and demonstration sign-up info.
Remind you that there is no class next Monday (Nov. 26).
Plus, late policy for project and practice questions for chapter 4 and 5 are posted.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
New update on project: sample programs on select() and long sample ABC files.
There will be no class on Nov. 26.
Solution for midterm can be found here (password protected).
Sample socket programs using UDP: udpclient.c and udpserver.c.
Your current grades have been posted. Check here (password protected).
Info about Term Project has been posted. The deadline is Nov. 27, 2001.
Assignment #3 has been posted which is due Oct. 31, 2001 in the class.
Check here to see if TA received your assignment #2 (listed under your UID).
Whoops!! I made a mistake on the time of deadline for assignment #2. It should be 11:59:59PM.
Well, we are moving again. Starting next Monday (Oct. 8, 2001), we will meet at 110 AH. Hopefully this is the last time.
Plus, some last minute hints for assignment #2.
We extend one day for Assignment #2. New deadline is 11:59:59PM, Thursday, October 4, 2001.
Now you can use WebCT to discuss questions regarding assignments and other matters. You have to find your user ID first. The instruction can be found here. Once you get in, choose "Fall - COSC 4377" and then click "Discussions" from the menu at left-hand side. This page is still under construction.
Please DONOT run your program on letos. letos is a mail server and doesn't have all necessary programs installed. Please use redhat machines (redhat01 ~ redhat37) instead. You can use secure shell (ssh) to connect to redhat machines directly.
SSH clients for Windows: WinSCP.) And for academic and non-commercial use, you can also get SSH Secure Shell Client. (I was told its license might expire after 30 days. Unconfirmed.)
Well, we have to move again. University forced all classes out of 232 PGH due to scheduling conflict. So we will meet in 344 PGH starting Monday, Sep. 24, 2001. Sorry for the late notice.
- Assignment #2 has been posted and is due midnight, Oct. 3, 2001. Please read and bring your questions to Wed's class.
- The notes for Chapter 2 have been posted. The content is almost the same as last semester's (with minor changes, like typos). If you have printed last semester's version, there is no need to print the new one.
It's official. We move to 232 PGH permanently. Also, remind you Assignment #1 is due tomorrow in the class.
We will meet in 232 PGH for next Monday's class (Sep. 10, 2001). If this room works better for us, we will move to this room permanently.
Also, wireless network for PGH (and maybe some other buildings) is up and running. You will need a wireless adapter (IEEE 802.11b) and set your ESSID to "tsunami" with no encryption. Please note that this setting will be changed soon.
Assignment #1 has been posted and is due in the class, on Sep. 12, 2001.
We will meet at 4:00PM, August 22, 2001 in 116 PGH for our first class.
- Syllabus - General Information (instructor names, textbook, grading policy, etc.)
- Midterm: 4 ~ 5:30 PM, Wednesday, October 10, 2001.
- Closed book/notes. Basically cover chapter 1 ~ 3.
- Practice problems from text book:
- Chapter 1: Review Questions; Problems 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7;
- Chapter 2: Review Questions; Problems 1, 4, and 5; Discussion Questions 4
- Chapter 3: Review Questions; Problems 1, 9, 13, 16, 17, 21, and 22.
- Old exams from previous semesters (password protected; will move to WebCT later)
- Final exam: 5 ~ 8 PM, Friday, December 7, 2001.
- Closed book/notes. Comprehensive. ~ 2 hours. Calculator allowed but not needed.
- 7.1 ~ 7.5: only basic concepts. Detail of sepcific standards/maths not included. [~ 10-15 pts].
- 5.1 ~ 5.8 (no ATM, Frame Relay, X.25) [~ 30-35 pts.]
- 4.1 ~ 4.5 (no router internals or IPv6) [~ 30-35 pts.]
- chapter 3 [~ 15 pts]; chapter 2 [~ 10 pts]; chapter 1 not included, but you might want to look up if you need to reference basic concepts.
- basic of seocket programming: if you did your project, you will be fine.
- Practice problems from text book:
- Chapter 4: Review Questions; Problems 3, 4, and 6.
- Chapter 5: Review Questions; Problems 1, 4, 8, and 12.
Total weight 200 points or 15 points of your final grade. The detail can be found here. The deadline is Nov. 27, 2001.
For PDF files, you will need Acrobat or Acrobat Reader from Adobe.
We are constantly changing the content of PowerPoint presentations. Please check back here for latest version.
- Chapter 1a (updated 08/27/2001, PDF) (657,756 bytes)
- Chapter 1b (updated 08/27/2001, PDF) (301,038 bytes)
- Chapter 2a (updated 09/18/2001, PDF) (286,803 bytes)
- Chapter 2b (updated 09/25/2000, PDF) (204,314 bytes)
Notes from previous semester.
- Socket Programming (updated 01/29/2001, PDF) (48,498 bytes)
- Chapter 3a (updated 10/10/2000, PDF) (997,824 bytes)
- Chapter 3b (updated 10/24/2000, PDF) (332,199 bytes)
- RPC - supplement(updated 02/27/2001, PDF) (33,134 bytes)
- Chapter 4a (updated 03/27/2001, PDF) (403,115 bytes)
- TCP/IP Protocol Suite: Chapter 4: IP Addressing (61,324 bytes)
- TCP/IP Protocol Suite: Chapter 5: Subnetting and Supernetting (70,920 bytes)
- Chapter 4b (updated 04/03/2001, PDF) (653,886 bytes)
- Chapter 5a (updated 04/04/2001, PDF) (411,307 bytes)
- Chapter 5b (updated 04/04/2001, PDF) (520,508 bytes)
- Chapter 5c (updated 04/04/2001, PDF) (456,012 bytes)
- Chapter 7 (updated 04/24/2001, PDF) (700,536 bytes)
Last modified: December 10, 2001.