Department of Computer
- Introduction to Computer Networks
Due in the class, on Wednesday, September 12, 2001
This is a warm-up assignment. You have to search most answers from
Internet. This assignment weights 50 points.
The usual note:
- A cover page with "COSC 4377, Fall 2001, Assignment #1", your NAME,
and your E-MAIL address on it.
- Prefer typed report. Writing and hand-draw are OK if it's legible.
- Show all steps. Please don't just write your final answer.
(Well, no need for this assignment.)
- Staple if there are more than one sheet.
- You can discuss with your classmate, but don't copy.
- Internet standards are defined by Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF) (www.ietf.org) and published as RFCs (Request
- How many RFCs have been published?
- When is the latest RFC published? What is the topic? Who submitted
- There have been many RFCs published over the years. Filling the following
table with the dates that RFCs were issued starting with first RFCs and
following by increment of 500. And then calculate how many years and months
elapsed from previous date. Please note that RFCs might not be published
in chronicle order.
||(Month-Year)1 - (Month-Year)501
||(Month-Year)501 - (Month-Year)1001
[Hint: look for index of RFCs from www.rfc-editor.org.]
- The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C; www.w3c.org)
is considered as the leading organization for World Wide Web standard development,
such as HTTP, HTML, XML, etc. Visit W3C's web site and find answers for the
- What is the latest version of specifications of the following standards
- PNG is a replacement of which graphic format?
- URL stands for what?
- Internet2 (www.internet2.edu) is
said to be the platform for next generation of Internet.
- List 2 Texas Universities outside Houston which are participating
[Hint: Look for member universities.]
- Name two benefits that current Internet users will get from Internet2.
[Hint: Look for "Frequently Asked Question".]
- If you wrote down your name and e-mail address on the cover page, you
earn 2 points.
Posted: September 5, 2001
Last modified: September 5, 2001.
tihuang at cs . uh . edu